Tobacco addiction is an unfortunate one that poses a serious threat to the lives of many people. The love of cigarettes is an addiction, severe and persistent, that conquers the personality on a psychological and physical level. Many cigarette lovers tried to end it, but only a small percentage achieved the desired goal. After all, battling any addiction is a true test of strength.
According to statistics, about 70% of smokers have the desire to quit smoking, and about 80% of them have tried to quit smoking many times. But what's stopping you from overcoming a deadly addiction? What tips can help you quit smoking once and for all? These capable and effective methods should be known to everyone who decides to embark on the road to a long and healthy life.
Any smoker will always find a thousand reasons to justify his bad habit. Of course, the first step in quitting smoking is recognizing the irreparable damage smokers do to themselves and others.
There are some tips to help you quit smoking once and for all.
Why is it so hard to quit smoking?
But why, how much does one know how much smoking affects a fulfilling life, what deadly ailments can one cause, and one is sometimes unable to cope with the habit? An explanation for this should be sought in the nuances of individual physiology and psychology.
According to statistics, nearly 60% of men and 15% of women considered themselves heavy smokers in 2016.
Psychologists have long found an explanation for the persistence of smoking habits. They explain it for several reasons:
ceremony. For many people, cigarettes have become a lifesaver, a tool that can save lives at any time. Fatigue, tense conversations, hard work, arguments, setbacks, and the desire to unwind after a busy day - smoking helps distract and relax. That is, cigarettes become a ritual without which a smoker's day does not pass.
Addicted. The mechanism of habit formation is very simple: nicotine quickly becomes an integral part of the body's metabolism. Due to regular intake of this supplement, the body stops producing certain hormones. They are replaced by nicotine compounds. For this reason, sometimes you really want to procrastinate -- when the body senses it needs this hormone.
psychology. This aspect is only explained by the character's characteristics. By the way, psychological dependence becomes the basis for the development of any addiction. And it is with this feature that few people know how to deal with it.
Quit Smoking: Get Started
All tobacco workers who want and dream of quitting should know an important and basic fact - you should not plan to quit and set yourself an "X" date. In most cases, such planned events are postponed and interrupted. This can be explained by ordinary psychophysiology.
Just thinking about quitting smoking adds one more thing - regretting the incense of the past. And such disagreements will prevent us from moving towards the "bright, smoke-free" side. But the following nuances should be known and always remembered.
A good motivational attitude is extremely important in fighting any addiction. In the case of quitting smoking, motivation will become an important factor that can support the will and help not give up.
Competent motivation is based on the belief that quitting smoking brings important benefits and is worth the time and effort.
Only motivation survives the first quit and helps the body fight the sometimes waking urge to smoke. Where can you find this motivation? For everyone, it will be personal. Here you can use the following settings:
- Save money.
- own health.
- pre-existing disease.
- The birth (or existence) of a child.
- Unpleasant smell from clothes and body.
When psychologists explain how to help the body after quitting smoking, they always recommend that you follow some rules. They should be understood, remembered and enforced. They are especially important in the early days of smoking cessation, when withdrawal syndrome awakens. These are the following simple suggestions:
- Don't let yourself go hungry. You should carry nuts, crackers, dried fruit or seeds with you. That way they are ready to use when the urge to smoke wakes up.
- Don't accumulate negativity. Try to avoid unnecessary stress, and don't fall into a situation of quarrels and conflicts.
- Don't be alone. On a difficult first day, you should maximize the support of your loved ones, loved ones, and friends. Those with whom you can share your problems, talk about success.
- Don't overload yourself. In the early stage of quitting smoking, the body will be in a state of stress, and it is not advisable to overload it. It's important to give yourself a good rest at this time, but don't forget the various recreational activities that can distract ex-smokers from their thoughts and desires about smoking.
Can alternative therapy help?
Withdrawal syndrome, which occurs after quitting smoking, can lead to many physical discomforts and illnesses. In addition to mood swings, weakness, and nausea, symptoms such as:
- increased salivation;
- Increased sweating (hyperhidrosis).
These conditions are very tiring, but can be relieved. Various medications from nicotine replacements can help with this. It can be a patch, gum, tablet, spray. They're not always successful, but it's still worth a shot, maybe in this case they'll be useful.
Consultation with a doctor is necessary in the early stages of smoking cessation. Your doctor may prescribe more effective medicines that are available on your prescription. These can be various antidepressants, which help relieve negative symptoms and relieve irritability.
There are other methods you can use: acupuncture, physical therapy, hypnosis to help you quit smoking. Exactly what to prefer, an experienced doctor will advise, focusing on initial health conditions and smoking experience.
Few people know that there are products that can be great helpers in the fight against smoking. When choosing the right diet, it should be remembered that nicotine stimulates the production of "happy" hormones (serotonin and dopamine) in the body. These compounds make people feel good. It is for this reason (when there is no nicotine) that ex-smokers face:
- bad mood;
All of these symptoms occur against the backdrop of a slow metabolism. However, if you know which products can help you quit smoking, you can avoid such problems. First of all, in order to stop unpleasant manifestations, it is necessary to ensure that there is a large amount of:
- Green vegetables;
- fish dishes;
- vegetable oil;
- dairy products.
All of these foods are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. These substances act on certain mood-stabilizing brain centers. But the lack of nicotine can be successfully supplemented with the following dishes:
Bitter natural dark chocolate is the perfect mood booster. Just don't get too obsessed with them. It's way too high in calories and the "chocolate" love is full of a set of extra pounds. When planning a healthy diet, special attention should be paid to breakfast. It should be satisfying and consist of high-energy foods. The list of energy products includes:
- mate tea;
- apples and bananas;
- natural honey;
- pumpkin seeds;
- Red meat (veal or beef).
Eat well and don't forget to exercise. The time to say goodbye to cigarettes is a good time to hit the gym, the swimming pool. This will protect ex-smokers from gaining unnecessary weight and completely distract the obsessive desire to smoke.
People's Pharmacy Help
Various therapists' recipes can also help the ex-tobacco addict. In people, there are many ways to help relieve negative manifestations and stop withdrawal syndrome. Use herbs and products with certain medicinal properties:
- Collection of catnip, dandelion and valerian. Steam all herbs (1 tbsp each) in boiling water (200 ml) and place in an airtight container until cool. Tighten the mass and take it with every urge to smoke.
- Grind oat greens (250 g) until floury. Pour in hot water (500ml) and bring to a boil. Filter and cool 1-1. 5 hours after infusion. When you want to smoke, you should take 100ml right away. Can be seasoned with honey.
- Dissolve baking soda (15g) in warm water (200ml). If you want to smoke, you should gargle with this solution.
- St. John's Wort (25 g) is boiled in boiling water (150-200 ml) and drink the composition during the day in place of regular tea. St. John's wort contains ingredients that have calming and sedative properties.
- Crush the roots of the highland and pour in boiling water/(200ml). Bring to a boil and boil for 3-4 minutes. Then let stand and soak for 1-1. 5 hours. You need a decoction to satisfy the urge to smoke. This herb will help create an aversion to cigarettes.
- Grate the leaves of the plant and steam with a cup of boiling water. Place in an airtight container for 1-1. 5 hours. Then filter the mass and add honey (in half the amount of the drink portion received). Drink this medicine for a month, and only drink 2-3 sips a day.
- Pour drinking water over oats, barley and millet. Boil the substance for 10-15 minutes and let it sit for a day. Then nervously, take 200ml on an empty stomach 3-4 times a day.
Use nicotine-free cigarettes
Using these herbal smoking products can help with addiction and cravings for smoking. By the way, this cigarette has long been known and has managed to establish itself as a reliable assistant in such a good cause.
Nicotine-free cigarettes have been known since ancient India. Reference to them in ancient Ayurvedic manuscripts dates back to our time.
Their main difference is that they have absolutely no nicotine in their ingredients. This harmful compound has been replaced by other ingredients. especially:
- Various oriental spices: cinnamon, coriander, saffron;
- Herbs: Thyme, Oregano, Peppermint, Motherwort, St. John's Wort, Horsetail, Sage, Eucalyptus.
Such cigarettes can relieve the unpleasant symptoms of withdrawal and relieve the psychological dependence of smoking. Ex-smokers who use this cigarette successfully cope with nicotine withdrawal and help on the path to a smoke-free life. You can buy these products at major drugstores.
Cigarettes without nicotine are not harmful to health. In addition, they have a certain therapeutic effect, with beneficial effects on the functioning of the central nervous system and respiratory system.
Considering the problem of smoking, scientists recognize that smoking is a delayed suicide. Negative, lethal effects on health accumulate over 10-20 years. Most experts consider smoking to be one of the most powerful drugs.
But there are so many wonderful, fun things and activities in life! And easily replace with any other addiction (nicotine) - healthy and useful. Sports, hobbies, photography, cooking, needlework, yoga, and more. Each of these activities is much better than smoking. think about it!